Postdoctoral Research Associate on the Strongly Correlated Electron Team
Job Title: Postdoc in Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
Location: Los Alamos, NM, USA
Organization Name: MPA-Q, Los Alamos National Lab
What You Will Do
The Strongly Correlated Electron Team at Los Alamos National Laboratory has openings for multiple postdoctoral positions. Our multifaceted, highly collaborative team, which includes capabilities in sample growth, characterization, device fabrication, measurements under extreme conditions (high pressure and low temperature), NMR, photoemission, and neutron scattering, explores new physics through new materials. Our interests include (but are not limited to) unconventional and/or topological superconductivity, quantum spin liquids, quantum criticality, heavy fermion physics, topological matter, low dimensional physics, spin-orbit coupled systems, and new phases of matter. The successful applicant will benefit not only from a highly interactive environment within our team but also from the close proximity of the NHMFL pulsed magnetic field facility, the strong theoretical condensed matter group at Los Alamos, and our participation in the National Quantum Science Center. We seek highly motivated individuals who are passionate about physics to develop and explore new ideas about correlated electrons. Any inquiries about these specific openings and other opportunities within our group are welcome and can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minimum Job Requirements
• A Ph.D. in Physics or equivalent experience within the past five years (or soon to be completed) is required. The candidate will have completed all Ph.D. requirements by commencement of the appointment.
• A strong background in experimental condensed matter physics.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
• The ability to communicate effectively across multiple levels of peers and supervisors.
• Demonstrated abilities in writing peer reviewed publications.
• The ability to work independently, creatively, and as part of a team.
Experience in at least one of the following:
• Correlated Electron Materials
• Dilution Refrigerator Operations
• Focused Ion Beam Machining
• High pressure techniques
• Neutron scattering
• Synthesis of intermetallic compounds
• Electrical or thermal transport
Note to applicants
Interested candidates can contact Filip Ronning (email@example.com) with questions or application material.
In addition to applying on-line, please submit a CV, publication list, a brief statement of research interests and the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of 4 potential references).
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
Postdoctoral positions are two-year appointments, with a possibility for a third year. Candidates may be considered for a Director's or other named Fellowships and outstanding candidates may be considered for the prestigious Darleane Hoffman, Richard P. Feynman, J. Robert Oppenheimer, or Frederick Reines Fellowships.
For general information on the LANL Postdoc Program go to http://www.lanl.gov/careers/career-options/postdoctoral-research/index.php
Where You Will Work
Located in the mountains of northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution.
LANL benefits package includes:
• PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
• Dental and vision insurance
• Free basic life and disability insurance
• Paid maternity and parental leave
• Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
• Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
• Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
• Onsite gyms and wellness programs
• Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Additional Details: This position does not require a security clearance. Selected candidates will be subject to drug testing and other pre-employment background checks.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a pre-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.